Monday, May 25, 2015

Traveling And Sex - Probably Not What You Are Thinking About





For all you people who clicked on this link thinking this blog is going to be about tips on how to get laid while traveling, I am sorry to disappoint you. Getting laid whether traveling or not traveling depends on a host of factors like your looks, your intellect, your charm, your confidence levels and your luck in appropriate proportions. I rarely get these proportions right. I mean I do look good under the right kind of lighting and I do sound intelligent when there is very loud music playing in the background. I am still working on charming my way to get things done but I am very confident in the company of old bed ridden men on the verge of death. If only all these conditions were met at a single instant of time, I would have had a different story to tell and a lot of tips to offer. This blog sadly, is about something else.

Often when I meet people, particularly new people and they come to know about my motorcycle trip (wearing a T shirt 24/7 that says I went on a 7 month motorcycle trip helps), most of them have kind words for me. It makes me really happy. However altruistic I like to fantasize myself as, the bits of attention thrown at me every now and then gets me really excited. A lot of times in these conversations, inevitably this question comes up - "So how was it ? ". I am always short of  eloquent answers when this question comes up. I generally retort with three words - "It was good". Sometimes I stretch it to four words - "It was really good". Most people seem satisfied with this answer but some of them still look like they expect more. I fumble for answers. I repeat the same answers, only this time I replace the word 'good' with a synonym. I don't think I manage to fool them with my clever wordplay. It bothers me a bit. Not only the fact that I couldn't fool them with my clever wordplay but also the fact that I can't seem to describe my travel experiences with a more eloquent speech rather than just these 3 or 4 word sentences. I seem to be lost when I try to describe the experience. I mean I plan to write a book about it and all I could mutter was three or four words. I start doubting my capabilities, go into a major depression and start getting suicidal thoughts.

Alright, the last sentence was exaggerated for effect but then the question has always perplexed me. I had pretty much thought the answer would elude me all my life until I had my Eureka moment when this guy I had met recently asked me the same question. (In case you were wondering, NO, I wasn't sitting in my bathtub naked whilst talking to this guy) After I fumbled with my three word answers he said "I also like traveling". In my mind I was like "Of course you do. Who in their right mind doesn't love traveling". I was smiling at the conversation I was having with myself in my head and suddenly it all became clear to me and I was enlightened. It was such a simple thing and I was unnecessarily being bothered about it. The reason I could never talk much about my travel experiences is because traveling is like sex.



Yes traveling is like sex. Most people enjoy it. Everyone has their own preferences on how to go about it. People who haven't done it fantasize about it all the time and the people who have done it want to do it again and again. You think about doing it a lot more often but most times you just end up looking at pictures and videos on the internet and fantasize about it. Sometimes you like it short and sweet, sometimes you want it to last really long. You might be doing alright without it but when you see other people doing it, it stokes an urge in you also to do the same. Sometimes it gets over faster than what you would have liked and sometimes it just drags on a little more than you wanted. Sometimes it is calm and relaxing, sometimes it is wild and energetic. There are some people who never get a chance to do it and you kinda feel bad for them. Then there are people who just abstain from it and you can't help but wonder why. Sometimes you need to prepare a lot before the act and sometimes it just happens spontaneously. Sometimes it is for business but mostly it is for pleasure. Every time you do it, it feels different than the previous time. And lastly it gets more and more difficult as you get older. Although just keeping a stash of pills may come in handy but its better to keep yourself fit to enjoy it at an older age. :)

Yes traveling is like sex. It is difficult to describe it in words but you can always recount and share stories about it. And just like sex, some stories are way too personal to share.



About Me:

A 7 month motorcycle ride that took me to every state in India, parts of Nepal and Bhutan and one town in Burma. These blog entries are inspired by this trip. Stories about people I met, stories about places I saw. Things that intrigued me, things that amused me. They say traveling changes you, they say traveling inspires you and they say a lot of other stuff. I don't know. I think a gun on the head is a better way to change people. I just hope that my travel stories entertain you

Right now I am in the process of writing a book based on this trip and figuring out the difference between a writer's block and procrastination.

You can find more information on my Facebook page and Instagram account

19 comments:

  1. ..... Sometimes you need to prepare a lot before the act and sometimes it just happens spontaneously. Sometimes it is for business but mostly it is for pleasure.

    Nailed it ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a comparison... simply awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one :) Enjoyed reading the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi mate, came across your blog now, wish I had seen it before! I am from Calicut, and wondering whether I could make a North East solo bike trip by the end of this year. Uncertainty, diffidence, confusions, my capital.
    By the way, does the Enfield have a tubeless version? I prefer modern and more refined bikes for maintenance issues, but love the aesthetics of RE too.
    What you say?
    Cheers!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enfield doesn't come in a tubeless version as far as I know. Although you can change your tyres to alloy wheels and get tubeless tyres fitted.
      I would say the bike is immaterial. Any bike you find comfortable will do the trick. ts the ride that will thrill you.
      But ya, I do like the aesthetics of an Enfield :)I

      Delete
    2. Now i finished reading all your previous writings..great! Intuitive writing.Waiting for your book to appear. Im certain, its going to be another classic after PG's Old Bloke.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much. I always used to think about a trip like this but P.G and his book were the inspiration behind making me believe its feasible.. :)

      Delete
  5. I just love your blogs! Very witty and smart writing. Anxiously waiting for the book. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found your blog through Reddit. I can easily relate with your thoughts and I feel happy to have found your blog. Keep writing George. Best wishes for your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. perfect and agree to you!! today first time i was reading aabout u n ur travel n found me in you.. really would luv to travel this way sm day.. need to start smwher,.. hv done partly trips lot but not the crazy ones like yours,.. look fwd to do one soon,..!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete